Friday, March 30, 2012

Problem with linking tables

I have an Access database that contains local files and files linked on a SQL server through a DNS connection. I have been using this for years and during that time I have dropped links, added links, changed the DNS server information, etc.

I changed the DNS server information this weekend, deleted all the links, and was ready to start linking the tables with the new DNS information. I click on File >> Get External Data >> Link Tables and am given the traditional file selection dialogue. I go to the bottom (Files of Type) and scroll to the last selection... ODBC Databases().

In the past, after I made that selection, I would then be taken to the ODBC dialogue from my computer to select the connection type and then the actual connection.

Now however, the dialogue immediately stops. It doesn't lock, it just stops and returns me to the Database window from my database as though I wasn't doing anything.

I have reinstalled Office and redone all the updates. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary

I just had the same problem today, but after installing new version of Norton Antivirus.

I found the solution on forum from jan 2006 (I'm not that smart)...

Turning off the Office plug-in in Norton Antivirus did indeed work. For those who need specific directions:

1. In Norton Antivirus, select Options from the toolbar, choose Norton Antivirus.
2. On the left select the Miscellaneous option
3. Uncheck the box for the Office Plug-in (scanning MS Office documents)
4. If you had MS Access open during this process, shut it down and restart it.

Hope this helps!

Emilija

|||

Thanks so much, Emilija. You hit it right on the head. I wouldn't have thought of that in 1,000,000 years!

Now all we have to do is make it esaier to find and change things in Norton! Every new edition hides things even more.

Thanks again,

Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment