Friday, March 30, 2012

Problem with Linked Servers

I am trying to link a sql 2000 server to a sql 2005 Server. I setup the link to the sql 2000 box from the sql 2005 (x64, Enteprrise) box using SSMS. Both boxes have the same Windows domain account that I'm using for auithentication. (I also selected the Impersonate option in SSMS) When I run a simple query on the sql 2005 box referencing the sql 2000 box ( select * from sql2000Box.DBName.dbo.tblName) I get the error message:

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "sql2000Box" returned message "Invalid authorization specification".

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "sql2000Box" reported an error. Authentication failed.

Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "sql2000Box".

Help!.

TIA,

Barkingdog

I called Microsoft on this one. They recommended that I enable RPC OUT on the server trying to link to the linked server. When I did I got another error message that appears explicilty in this article:

"You may receive an error message when you try to run distributed queries from a 64-bit SQL Server 2005 client to a linked 32-bit SQL Server 2000 server"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;906954

I will see if this solution works.

Barkingdog

No comments:

Post a Comment